Friday, June 3, 2011

Preaching Hell in a Tolerant Age

In dong some research I came up with this article Written by Tim Keller in 1997. I think it is an outstanding primer on how to speak to post-modern people about Jesus love, and the necessity of hell. For the older generation who are 40+ the idea of Hell is easy to understand in part because we've grown up in a more religious environment but also the basic underlying philosophy we live by is able to deal with it. 

Anyone under 30 is almost certainly a post-modernist and their ideas are different and the old arguments just don't cut it. Keller's article is realy helpful for all of us leaders, parents and Christians in this kind of world as we minister to people who have deeply invested into this kind of world-view. Take some time and reflect on Keller's arguments, I think they are convincing and really powerful.

"Then a mature Christian made a connection with a sermon a month ago on Jesus at Lazarus' tomb in John 11. "The text tells us that Jesus wept," he said, "yet he was also extremely angry at evil. That's helped me. He is not just an angry God or a weeping, loving God—he's both. He doesn't only judge evil, but he also takes the hell and judgment himself for us on the cross."
The second woman nodded, "Yes. I always thought hell told me about how angry God was with us, but I didn't know it also told me about how much he was willing to suffer and weep for us. I never knew how much hell told me about Jesus' love. It's very moving."
It is only because of the doctrine of judgment and hell that Jesus' proclamation of grace and love are so brilliant and astounding."

You can read his article at LeadershipJournal.net - Preaching Hell in a Tolerant Age | LeadershipJournal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment