Friday, November 18, 2011

Conversations for discipleship 4

Jesus wants people to follow him and the word the bible uses is disciple from the same root as discipline. Unfortunately discipline has such a negative connotation. I discipline my body when I train it to be strong and fit. I discipline my mind when I learn to understand mathematical formaulae or remember passages of scripture. Discipline is a formative process and Jesus wants us to be formed into his likeness. So here is a 4th conversation you can have with someone to help them mature in their faith.

Conversation 4 is all about prayer

God talks to us primarily through his word, the Bible; we talk to God through prayer. Scripture is full of promises and truths about prayer. The key to understanding prayer is to pray like Jesus. Jesus talks to the Father as a son talks to his dad; this is the key to not over spiritualizing prayer and to having humble confidence in prayer.

task:

Be sure to pray with the person you are discipling on a regular basis. Opening and closing your times together in prayer is something to consider.
Read these verses together to discuss prayer.
   Matthew 6:5‐15
   John 14:13‐14
   James 1:5

Some questions to ask:

  • What does prayer look like in your life?
  • Do you find it hard to pray? If so why do you think that is?
  • How can I pray for you this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment