Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Home groups must be about gospel mission or else they fail at fulfilling Jesus mission



We've been encouraging our HomeGroups to move from internal self focused ministry to Gospel mission for some time now and we're seeing great fruit of this. This is a journey that we're on and we're learning each day what it means to get the gospel out there.One of our groups has adopted St Mary's home, a refuge for abused women as Jesus calls us to identify with and bless those who are the underdogs, the oppressed, the hurting and the broken. We're trying to take this seriously as a church and each group is seeking God's guidance as they minister into the community into which we have been called. This is a radical change from inward focused home groups ministry that we've been operating with in the past.
Jesus reminds us that what we do for the least we actually do for him Matthew 25:35–40  For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

It is great that to see families doing this together. The best thing that we can teach our kids is to serve as Jesus serves us. Knowledge of the Bible is important as is the basic spiritual disciplines of study, prayer and giving, but what our kids need to see is faith in action. As they watch mum and dad serve, love and care for those who need help they will learn what it means to really follow Jesus. Because Jesus is God in action. We see it as he seeks justice, opposes the rich and the proud and lifts up those oppressed, hurting, demonized and far from God. We're called to be like him and we too are a sent people - sent by God to make a real difference in the world. Making a difference always starts with building relationships because we need to earn the right to be heard and so as this is what this group is doing as this new shelter launches. In time they will learn to care for those oppressed by domestic violence, they will learn to give counsel and minister the Gospel of Jesus to those who will come here to find refuge and shelter. And it will all be for Jesus glory.

Psalm 5:11 But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment