Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The web for newbies:

OK so after seeing on Sunday that many people are not so clued on the web, let me explain some of the technologies PVFC is using on our website!

 

Blog:

All this stuff (and some other things) that I send to you is on my blog an online web log where you can comment on the postings I make. If you have a google account you can follow the blog and every posting I make will give you a mail to tell you. Check the blog out here

 

Twitter:

Twitter is a micro blogging site that is used to give links to interesting or important information. Our twitter site is here. With my Kindle that the elders where gracious enough to buy for me as I do a LOT of reading (And the books are MUCH cheaper than hard copies AND they save the trees on God's creation!) much of what I post on twitter will be links to good quotes or comments from whatever book I am reading. Click here to see an example of a quote here...it will also give you a link to the book I am reading on Amazon.com

 

RSS feed:

An RSS feed is a system whereby you have one application on your computer that presents you with updates of the websites you usually look at on a regular basis. So instead of opening each site to see if anything new is there, you can use a feed reader to show you the changes made to all of the websites that you are following. Here is a list of free feed reading apps. And you can read more about RSS feeds here and here.

 

The RSS feed for our website is here. And there is an RSS feed that will tell you when a new sermon has been uploaded.

 

Podcast:

A podcast is used to automatically download regular media (video and audio files) from the internet. Read about it here. You can use iTunes or some other free podcast software to keep up to date with the latest media. PVFC sermons are in podcast format and if you subscribe using iTunes you will have the latest sermon automatically downloaded to you computer and then it will be synced to your iPod. It's and easy way to keep the latest stuff on your personal music player....

 

That should give you the basics J and if you need help you can contact me or Joe on joe@dewet.mobi

 

No comments:

Post a Comment