Friday, October 1, 2010

Kindle

OK so I have had an Amazon Kindle for some weeks now and I thought it would be helpful to post a review for those who might be interested. I have one word to describe it:

AWESOMENESS!!!

I love the device. The screen using e-ink technology is very readable in broad daylight and is much softer on the eyes than a normal LCD screen as found on other devices like the iPad. Buying books is phenomenally easy and the device I have is the entry level one with wifi only connectivity. The upgrade has 3G (cellphone network) as well which is better if you travel lots. Purchasing is directly from Amazon and delivery is within a week directly to your door.

Books are much cheaper too. Recently I purchased Wayne Grudem’s Systematic theology – around R460 locally in paperback and only $30 on the Kindle which is about 50% less, the device will pay for itself in a year at the rate I read books (3 – 4 per month). There are around 650000 books available and a purchase takes about 30 seconds before it is readable on the Kindle. The device can hold around 3000 books and keeps your place in each book. I have already purchased about 20 books and read 5 of them J

Whilst I still love paper books I think this is the way of the future and I have found the transition very easy and I will probably use the device more and more. Marisa is so convinced she just bought one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment